The Imbeciles Release Debut Self-Titled Album



The Imbeciles Release Debut Self-Titled Album

(And I’m not sure what the fuck is going on…)


The Imbeciles release their debut, self-titled album and I’m writing about it because… well, it confuses me. I’m 98% sure I love it…I think. But I don’t know. Argh.

But that uncertainty makes me like it more. I’m never sure if I’m overdosing and this is playing recklessly throughout my brain or it could all be musical genius sat in my inbox. But it’s okay to feel like this as guitarist/lyricist Butch Dante explains, “We want people to think what’s going on is not right,” He continues. “That’s the theme of this album: you’re all fucked, we’re heading for a dystopian future. But before you fuck off, you could be nicer”.

And they’ve hit the nail on the head. I don’t think what’s going on is right, I feel like I’m fucked and… let’s face it, I could be nicer. In terms of sound, I guess sort of garage, post-punk, nu metal would be the best ways to round it up but even with that I’m not sure.

Track ‘Ice Cream’, I am 100% positive I like. It’s a strange, apocalyptic combination of stoner languor and the feeling of receiving a beating whilst stood in a biker’s club. All tracks, ‘Ice Cream’ included, rarely go over the 2 minute mark, keeping that punk haste and an injection of fury and desolation. It’s an angry album and that can’t be denied. It’s quite jumpy and I think the lack of direction with my review might even help resonate that uncertainty. Basically, I haven’t a clue what the fuck is going on. But as stated, I’m pretty sure I love it.

Dante continues, “The music sounds angry, but it’s driven by frustration at people being vile to each other, and inequality. The kindness that used to be part of our DNA has been expunged. Our leaders are embarrassed by it. But the only thing that will solve the world’s problems is ubiquitous kindness.” The album, though, avoids lectures. “The band-name’s designed to say we’re as foolish as anyone else.”
Adding to the magnetism of the band, they are also trying not to adhere to the conventional wisdom of what a ‘band’ should be and who should be in it. Not only is their music breaking standard conventions, Dante states, “Jads is a jazz-trained drummer who can roll off the beat in a Mitch Mitchell sort of way, the keyboardist comes from classical and jazz, and as the punk anchor with my lack of musical ability, I default to heavy power chords, based around fierce rock riffs. Those riffs, a strong drum-beat and aggressive bass are all very commercially viable. We might shift off into a hinterland of jazz-infused prog, but we bring it back. Because we want people to listen.” 
There’s a bit of everything in this album. There’s experimental rock, noise rock, garage, and hell, there’s even ghostly blues guitars haunting their post-punk clang. There’s track malfunctions, weird cuts to the music and even if you don’t like what they are doing, you’ve got to appreciate that you’ve probably heard nothing like it. And if anyone wants to explain to me what the hell is going on in song, ‘Oh My Rod Pt II’ I’ll happily sit back and listen.

I think whilst writing this review and listening to the record on repeat, I have convinced myself further that I like The Imbeciles. Their U.K. tour has been cancelled due to COVID-19 but I for one will be buying a ticket when the rescheduled dates appear.
Fuck it. 

I’m now 99% sure I love them.

Comments

Popular Posts